Bad electrical wiring is a house fire or a severe shock waiting to happen.
Failure to get electrical wiring checked regularly results in hundreds of homes set ablaze across Australia.
While you may not be able to detect more significant issues with your wiring by yourself, a cursory check should be enough to raise a red flag warranting a thorough inspection of your home’s wiring by a professional electrician in Ballarat.
So what are some of the tell-tale signs of bad electrical wiring in your home? Let’s have a look:
1. Frequent circuit breaker trips
Your circuit breaker is designed to switch off when there is an overload on the circuit due to running too many appliances simultaneously. But if you are having frequent power outages, blown fuses and tripped breakers without any apparent reason, this should ring the bell for you and calls for the professional help from a licensed electrician.
2. Flickering, buzzing or dimming lights
Unless you live in a haunted house, your lights should not be flickering as they do. This is not a ghost you need to call a priest for; it’s your faulty wiring, and you need an electrician immediately.
If you notice that the flickering or dimming happens when you turn on other appliances, your wiring cannot stand the load you are putting on it and needs upgrading.
3. Frayed or damaged wiring
Another tell-tale sign of bad electrical wiring is when the wiring starts getting exposed due to excessive use over the years. This is especially true for really old houses. Insects, rodents or other pests usually damage the wiring. Exposed wiring poses the threat of a potential electrical shock if touched and must be replaced.
4. Discolored or blackened power points
Looking at your home’s power outlets can reveal several things. Discoloured or blackened power points, or those that feel warm on touch or smell odd, can all be signs that the wiring running through the wall is either already burnt or heats up when used. The same heating up can cause power point covers to melt, blacken, discolour or even cause a fire.
Put your family’s safety first.
House fires and electrical shocks can be prevented if a licensed electrician checks your house’s wiring every 2 to 3 years.
If need be, update your wiring to carry a load of your new, more power-demanding appliances being run simultaneously. Older homes are at a greater risk of having lousy wiring than the ones built in the last decade.
Remember, all accidents are avoidable if only we can be proactive enough, look for the warning signs and take action before it’s too late.
As licensed electricians in Ballarat, with over 2 decades of experience under our belts, we can upgrade your switchboards, repair or replace old wiring and damaged power points, and make your home safe for your family. Call us at 03 4333 9117.